Syncing Teams files to your local computer
One of the advantages of Teams is its ability to integrate with OneDrive to synchronize folders and files to your local computer.
Before we begin: You should already have Microsoft Teams installed and running on your computer. Your Teams should also have its files and folders moved to Teams.
You must already be a member of a Team for this to work.
STEP 1: LOCATE THE FOLDER YOU WANT TO SYNC TO YOUR COMPUTER:
Depending on your role, you may be members of a single Team or multiple Teams. Within each Team, there can be multiple Channels. The General channel is created by default for each team.
In this example, the department keeps its department folders and files in the General Channel. I want to sync the files in the General channel to my computer.
STEP 2: OPEN THE FOLDER IN SHAREPOINT:
To access the sync tool we need, we will need to open the Teams File section in Sharepoint.
Sharepoint is the Cloud storage system which sits in the back end of the Teams service.
To open the File Section in Sharepoint, Open Teams, go to the Team where the files are that you want to sync, and then go to Files. Click on Open in Sharepoint
This will open a web page (you may need to log in to Office365) that shows the Channel’s file section in SharePoint. Find and click the Sync icon in the toolbar of the SharePoint page.
STEP 3: SYNC THE FOLDER IN ONEDRIVE:
When you click Sync, a permission window will pop-up asking you to confirm that you want to use OneDrive to perform the sync action. Click Sync now to begin. Depending on the amount of data to sync, the process could take a few minutes to complete.
STEP 4: YOUR DATA IS NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUR LOCAL COMPUTER:
Look in your file browser (File Explorer in Windows, Finder in Mac) and you will see a folder named “St Cuthberts College” (not to be confused with “OneDrive – St Cuthberts College”).
In the image above, the user has access to the Admissions files, and the ILT Department Files. These can be accessed whenever the user has access to the internet.
This is where your Team (Channel) files and folders will be synced.
- You can treat this folder like any other folder on your computer. Open and Save files to it and they will be available to other members of your Team.
- These files are synced. If you delete from your local folder, it will delete on the web version. For everyone. Deleted files can be found in the recycle bin located in the SharePoint view of your Channel files (see step 2).
- You cannot adjust permissions for this sync. Everyone who is a Team member has the ability to create and delete folders and files. Just like they do in Teams.
- Access to these files is determined by membership to the Team. It is the Team owner’s responsibility to periodically review membership to determine if access to resources is still appropriate.
- Large files saved to your local sync folder may take a few minutes to reach all team members syncing that folder.